The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

Senior Sendoff: Lincoln Wheeler

Photo courtesy of Connor Lanusse

The journalism program at McDaniel was a pivotal part of high school for me. During my freshman year, which was spent online, it provided me with some sort of a sense of community, even with the barrier of the pandemic. Later on, the program would continue to introduce me to new people with whom I shared a wide range of interests. These connections allowed me to learn more about the people in the McDaniel community while writing stories to inform others. Newspaper creates a really amazing cycle of learning in this way.

Some of my favorite connections I formed were with people like Ian Latta, who was a senior during my sophomore year, and who I was lucky enough to work with on our style guide as the two copy editors for the Oracle. Looking back, I better realize the value of our connection through the fact that we were not only able to make each other laugh and power through the challenges of the editing cycle, but we were also able to produce some work together that I remain proud of to this day. In addition to making our style guide, I remember Ian and I struggling to write our publication’s first—and only, thus far—editorial, covering the district and union debates on flex time. For maybe a week or two, I was on-call to watch the lengthy bargaining meetings between PPS and the PAT, after which I would discuss and compare notes with Ian. When this story was finally complete, we had a solid product that I think reflects the strength of writing and work ethic I would like to carry on throughout my life. Looking back on the time I spent in newspaper class my sophomore year is nostalgic; it really felt like a small, close team organizing to build something from the ground up.

My junior year brought more stability and systems to the class, and with it, an even closer bond with my classmates from the year before. Most notably, I learned the value of assertiveness from Lane Shaffer, details from Eva Andrews, caringness from Lilly Santangelo-St. Martin and effort from Sebastian Gracie-Fultz. Beyond these particular editors, I felt like my junior year’s newspaper class was hard-working, motivated and unique. Every single person in that class helped make the Oracle into what it is today at a larger scale while also making my year memorable and enjoyable. There was not a single person who didn’t leave a strong positive legacy on the paper.

My senior year felt like a huge jump. Our class size had grown by enough that it almost felt daunting on the first day. Little did I know that in a short period of time, I would get to know all my classmates and have a year of high quality work that challenged the publication and pushed us out of our comfort zones. This year was a challenge for me in that I felt compelled to take risks and try new things within the newspaper. A highlight of this might have been the strike double-page spread that I designed.

Furthermore, this year has assured me that the Oracle will continue to be a strong, thoughtful and motivated publication that values integrity and getting important information to the community for years to come. The newspaper program here is very special, and I am looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Lastly, I want to thank all my classmates for making my high school journalism experience so memorable and positive. Thank you Ian, Zane, Grace, Leo, Morgan, Eva, Isaac, Lane, Rebekah, Thisbe, Odessa, Olivia, Val, Sebastian, Opal R., Opal G., Greta, Max, Jackson, Lilly, Slate, Amelia, Lilah, Stone, Anthony, Kenz, Milton, Maxwell, Tyler, Eban, Hattie, Aria, Emma N., Emma L., Jack, Lucia, Paige, Junior, Oliver, Adrian, Rozie, Michael, Adie, Aaliyah, Harvey, Kay, Zay and, of course, SB.