The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

Track team breaks records

Ernest Hemmingway once wrote, “there are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” However, he must never have put on spikes. Track and field has been the pride of Mountain Lion athletics since the school’s founding in 2021.

In the preseason, sprints coach Archer Williamson had an ambitious outlook on the year. 

“My hopes for the team are to make as many personal bests as possible, to continue to break school records and to take as large a number to state as possible,” Williamson said.

The season started off as Williamson predicted. . In just two track meets, the team broke four school records in sprinting; as Williamson said, “right on track.”

The team went on to break two more records, both in the 3000 meters.

Williamson had their eyes on a long-undisputed record. 

“I would love to take the relay to state, and I would love to finally break Suzy Setterholm’s standing 400-meter women’s record, I think we’ve finally got it,” Williamson said.

Setterholm’s record of 55.55 was set in 1984 and has long been the envy of dozens of Senators and Mountain Lions.

“I think that was set in my junior year, but I ran the same time my senior year,” said Setterholm, who is a substitute teacher, said.

Unfortunately for Williamson, Setterholm’s record still sits on top of the leaderboard by the gym.

Jake Brewer ran the 110-meter hurdles and the 100-meter dash. Brewer was more than excited for his senior season.

“I’m excited, it’s my senior year, we’re gonna do good. I hope all our team does good, I just want some PR’s,” said Brewer.

Brewer’s big expectations for the fresh season were fueled by a strong trust in his teammates. 

Brewer came close to his goal running a 17.08 110m, .04 off from his previous record. 

Junior Mohammed Fofana is currently in his third year of track. Fofana competes in long jump, high jump and the 100-meter dash. As a current upperclassmen and rising senior, Fofana prides himself as a valuable team mentor, helping underclassmen push themselves to do their best.

“When you get on the field, forget about everything else. Keep pushing yourself because the finish line is just the beginning of a new race,” Fofana said.

Fofana’s advice clearly worked for the Mountain Lions as seven athletes went to state. 

The team went to state on May 17 and 18. At state, Maleigha Canaday-Elliott broke the state triple jump record with a jump of 41-02.25 feet. 

Additionally the team placed fourth overall in points for the girls, pretty impressive considering they only sent five athletes.

All in all the Mountain Lions capitalized on their momentum and ended the season as one for the books.