The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

Theater club strives to be welcoming, united community

Lucia Romero
The theater club uses their acting skills to pose for the camera. Inclusion is an important factor to the club.

Everyone has seen acting before. Whether it be from a movie or a TV show, acting is known as a worldwide phenomenon for entertainment, allowing people to do what they’re passionate about.

The theater club is a place for students who have passion for acting to open themselves up and be themselves, while getting to make meaningful connections with people. The club was established seven years ago and has been running every Tuesday.

Dr. Zena, who is the theater director and club supervisor, has been with the club ever since it was established. They appreciate how students have a big voice. 

“They plan trips, they plan activities, we go see shows, it’s very cool,” Zena said. 

Zena explained how the club supports the performances. Students in the club help advertise, they then help choose what performances are done every year.

“I like that its students run,” Zena said.

Other students are encouraged to join too.

“Anyone can join at any time during the year,” Zena said. Their voice is really important, no one’s voice is shut out of decision making.” 

Sophomore Haylee Wright has been in the club since freshman year. She likes the club and is glad she is a part of it.

“I like how understanding everyone is and how it’s a very welcoming community,” Wright said. 

While last year Wright did feel like she didn’t belong much, this year changed her view. She has made a lot of friends and many connections.

“I’ve definitely felt less alone, and I am wanted and missed, which is something that I’ve needed,”Wright said.

Serena Baxter, also a sophomore who joined freshman year, enjoys heading to environments that are community driven.

“It has given me a space where I can really be myself and where I can go to just have fun and forget about stressful things in life,” Baxter said. 

Besides talking about theater related things, she simply likes hanging out with the club. 

“I hope that more people will continue to join the club!” Baxter said.

Next year the club wants to get my people involved and continue to push towards a welcoming community.