The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

A modern indie album you need to hear

A modern indie album you need to hear

Lindsey Jordan rose to fame in 2018 at age 17 under the stage name Snail Mail with her debut record, Lush. Celebrating its two-year anniversary in November, her sophomore album Valentine still feels like it came out yesterday. It follows an intimate theme about Jordan’s own failed relationship and focuses on feelings of heartbreak and devotion. 

Setting the scene for her newest album, works like Lush and her 2016 EP Habit paint pictures of teenage angst and failed romance with jangly guitar-driven tracks and emotive vocals. Steering away from her shoegaze-adjacent guitar playing and a newfound reliance on synthesizers brought an unseen—and warmly welcomed—poppier front to Snail Mail. I’m normally opposed to a more synth-heavy sound and turn my nose to most pop, but I really enjoyed this record and I think the instrumentals blend well with her voice.

The album has a track for almost any mood. It opens with the self-titled “Valentine,” a heartbreaking song about falling in and out of love. The verses swell and nearly boil over until Jordan breaks into a sort of plea—“So why’d you want to erase me?”—setting the theme for the rest of the record. “Valentine” is one of my favorite songs on the album. The way the instrumentals take over your senses, and are as up and down as her emotions throughout the song, it almost brings me to tears. I adore the music video; it almost perfectly matches the emotion that the song gives and was exceptionally well shot with a few really captivating scenes. Muted tones and close up shots brought the vulnerability of the song into light.

“Ben Franklin” opens with a brooding synth line and antagonizing lyrics about not having a care in the world, a feat that was later turned on its head. Then, it’s split by Jordan feigning apathy, playing the rockstar persona. The character dissolves when she cracks into a cry, “But don’t act like you never met me.” Bright chords dance throughout the song, but the writing paints a duller picture. I love this track; I always catch myself nodding along when it comes on, and the lyrics are always floating in the back of my mind. The synth bassline is painfully catchy, and the video always made me smile.

My personal favorite from the album is “Automate,” a punchy, folk-like song about trying to move on from a partner and still seeing them in everything. It’s hauntingly beautiful, and the lyrics are heartbreaking. Every snare hit is a twist in the gut, and the contrast between the lyrics is like salt to a wound. It dives into the pain of getting over a breakup and really paints a clear picture. It’s catchy and sad in all the best ways. 

Overall, I adore this album, and I think it’s nearly flawless. However, in my opinion the romance-themed sophomore album is a little corny, but it was executed incredibly nonetheless. Reminiscent of The Cure’s infamously happy-sad songs, Valentine warms your heart and then breaks it into a dozen pieces. If you’re looking for new music to listen to, I would definitely recommend giving it a listen.