The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

Barbie, a sublime movie for all

I can say almost certainly that everyone reading this is aware of Barbie. Some of us had them as children, or maybe even still do. Even those who didn’t likely saw the array of Barbie animated movies, watched Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse. Or in some way or another, interacted with Barbie. And yet no media has ever successfully captured that feeling of nostalgia and love that comes with playing with this doll. None, until Barbie (2023).

I’ll be honest, on first impression, I completely wrote off Barbie. Of course, my first impression of the movie was sometime in 2018 when it was first leaked. At that time, all I saw was the back of Margot Robbie in her Skater Barbie outfit, and assumed this movie was going to just be some cheap nostalgia bait cash grab. But this year when I saw the actual trailer for the film, I knew I had misjudged it. The bright colors, poppy music, impeccable acting and beautiful sets immediately had me. I just knew I had to see it. 

I was one of the lucky few to see Barbie on opening night, and god was that incredible. One of the best parts of this film was the community that grew from it, which I got to see in full swing that day. The second I arrived at the theater, I was overwhelmed by the amount of people decked out in full pink outfits and accessories. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a packed theater, and one so full of smiling women and girls at that. The sight of so many people excited for the movie was nearly enough to bring me to tears all on its own. And I hope everyone who got to see it in theaters had a similarly awe striking experience. 

But this movie was special in that, even with how hyped up it was, it lived up to every expectation and then some. The story was easy to understand, but not in a way that felt childish or stupid. It was also probably the most I’ve ever laughed at any movie ever. The jokes were quick and witty and really helped draw me into the plot. But of course, it was totally and completely pink in every way. And the second I saw the big, plastic-looking, real life Dream Houses, I knew I was in for a good time.

Of course, the aesthetics weren’t nearly the best part about this film. I would argue this movie has the perfect cast. No one could portray “stereotypical Barbie” like Margot Robbie; there’s no man on this earth more Ken-like than Ryan Gosling, Micheal Cera is so much like Alan it’s actually a little scary, and as usual for her, America Ferrera is a star in every meaning of the word. Ferrera’s character gives the perspective of a mother, one who never “grew out” of Barbie. The scenes between her and her daughter, or even her and Barbie, are absolutely heartbreaking and real. Her performance was so natural and authentic, it was genuinely just astounding. I’m always a little skeptical of all-star casts like this, but director Greta Gerwig absolutely crushed it with this one. 

The plot of this movie is almost indescribable honestly. It’s funny, sad, nostalgic, beautiful, and well, Barbie. I honestly don’t want to talk about it too much for fear that someone reading won’t watch it. All I can really say is just, wow. Wow, wow, wow. If I can promise anything about this film, it’s that it’ll leave you in awe. Walking out of the theater I wasn’t sure if I should burst out laughing or just break down and cry.

It’s hard to discuss this movie without talking about the infamous Barbie versus. Oppenheimer showdown. But I won’t. When given the choice between an existential movie about the ethics of our day-to-day lives and womanhood as a whole and some film about a guy with a bomb, I picked Barbie. And I think you should too.