The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, a darn good time

This series has a long history of many oddities: a weird premise, bad movies, confusing stories, corny dialogue, etcetera. And yet the newest addition to the saga, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, instead proves to be one of the most down to earth and fun films I’ve had in a while.

The movie hit so many points for me in ways that I honestly didn’t think to be possible. I’ve found myself in a bit of a rut with films–not wanting to watch something soul-crushingly sad–but still wanting a good plot that isn’t just dumbed down entirely. This movie manages to not only deliver a vibrant and interesting story but has serious moments without making me completely sob. It’s a really nice refresh compared to a lot of other action superhero movies that have come out in recent years.

Another thing this movie does 100 percent right is the characters. The turtles in this film are so much fun. Their dialogue is realistic and young without being cringy or forced. A lot of that is thanks to the fact that there are real teenagers voicing the teenage mutant ninja turtles for the first time ever. Crazy how when you let teenagers talk like teenagers, it actually sounds right instead of coming off like some weird caricature.

The animation, of course, is another big highlight of this film. Like many animated movies that have come out as of late, the style is completely different and new. It feels almost juvenile the way scribbles fly out across the screen, with the colors bright and sometimes mismatched in order to convey the feelings of a scene. It does so much justice to the story and shows such a great attention to detail. Not only do you feel the turtles’ confusion as they make their way through the human world and their own interpersonal relationships, but you see it in the way the drawings fluctuate and jump around constantly.

There’s really no reason not to watch this movie. I mean really. Between the beautiful style of the animation, the voice acting talents of Jackie Chan, Nicolas Cantu, Ayo Edebiri and many others, plus the hilarity of the film in general, anyone would enjoy it. Luckily for those reading, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem is already available for streaming on Paramount+, Amazon Prime Video and other platforms. And if you feel so inclined, reach out to @mcdanieloracle on Instagram and tell us your favorite turtle!

View Comments (2)