Student Health Center provides numerous benefits to youth

Ever needed a sports physical last minute? Well you’re in luck, because the Student Health Center would love to help. The health center also offers many physical health opportunities such as: vaccinations, Covid-19 rapid tests, sport physicals, regular exams, immunizations, illness and injury care, reproductive health care, lab tests and dental hygiene. It also offers mental health care. There are licensed psychologists on-site that will help with no appointment needed. 

The health center may be hard to find since everyone at McDaniel is in a new space. It is located in room 161, just past the black box theater. 

Furthermore, the health center is available for all students attending school in the district. 

The health center is here to support you along with your primary care doctor or be your primary care provider regardless of insurance status. The health center is open in-person between 8:45 a.m and 5:45 p.m. Mondays and 7:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, or you can call 503.988.3382 to make an appointment in advance. 

The process of getting registered was described as “a lot easier than I thought” by a senior who has consistently visited the health center since freshman year for therapy. 

She continued to describe the Student Health Center by saying, “They never made me feel like I was being judged and were always welcoming and even happy to see me.

The senior added that they offered stuff like tea or snacks and even had some stress balls and things of the sort.

Another student who visited also had a positive experience. 

“I could 100 percent see myself [going] there again,” the sophomore student said.

According to the sophomore, they think it is important for people to be aware of the student health center.  

“It’s an accessible option and really affordable,” they said.  

The Student Health Center has proved that it has a plethora of opportunities to help youth access good and easily-accessible health care. Although the student health center may feel new to you, the staff is always ready to help and support you.