The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

Girls basketball: Team pursues successful season of hope, work ethic

Oliver Sage
Varsity co-captain Aaliyah Salvador shoots a free throw.

The 2023-24 winter sports season is underway and the girls’ basketball team is eager to prove themselves in the new year. With a 6-18 performance last year, the team hopes to prove themselves this season. 

“My hope for our team this season is to continue to grow as players and build our program throughout this season,” junior co-captain Anna Galdwin said. “We have great athletes this year, and I can’t wait to see them grow as players.”

Among the roster are returning players, who are sure to make a clear impact on games.

“I’d say someone to look out for would be our other captain, Aaliyah Salvador. They are a great team player and leader on and off the court, and they have great handles and shots,” Gladwin said.

Senior Aaliyah Salvador is a fourth-year player who has spent three of their years on varsity. Salvador has high hopes to lead their team through their final year. 

“I’m pretty excited, especially since it’s my senior year, my last year,” Salvador said. “I want to put everything I have into this season, and I know we’re still building the program but I’m excited for our team.”

Among the players new to varsity is Sirena Kuss. Kuss is anticipating a memorable season. 

“My individual hope for this season is to work hard and push myself. As a team we really want to be competitive this year,”  Kuss said.

The team is not without its challenges. Nevertheless, the players stay eager and optimistic. 

“There will be struggles that come up as the season goes on. I am confident in our work ethic and commitment as a team because of our two-plus hours of practice on weekdays to three-plus hours of practice on Saturdays and Sundays,” Gladwin said. 

Time will tell if the team’s enthusiastic work ethic shows results. They have started the season with a 0-2 record, before two notable games at Parkrose on Dec. 19 and at home against David Douglas on Dec. 28.