The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

Girls soccer has big ambitions for the future

Energy is still high following a highly successful campaign in the previous year of soccer. The girls soccer team aims to solidify its position as a formidable contender within the Portland Interscholastic League (PIL).

“I’m really excited, it’s still preseason and there’s been a few bumps, but I think my team can work through it,” senior varsity player Maleigha Canaday-Elliot said. “As an individual, I’m trying to be as aggressive as possible, score some goals and give some underclassmen a chance.”

Their achievements can be attributed, in part, to the leadership of second year head coach, JD Penilton. The team’s progress under Penilton’s guidance has been undeniable, as demonstrated in their remarkable playoff run in the season prior.

“Last year our goal was to make it to the playoffs and we accomplished that, that’s another goal

for this season,” Penilton said.

Encouragingly, the team boasts a roster brimming with talent and features standout players such as Addy Skyles, Maleigha Canaday-Elliott, Odessa Berry and Rebekah Zahler, all of whom continue to be integral to the team’s goals.

In spite of their optimistic attitudes, the team does face challenges on their path to success. Their lead scorer from last year transferred to another school.

“It’s hard replacing someone who scored 16 goals and was co-PIL player of the year,” Penilton acknowledged. “So I think we’re trying to fill that gap offensively and we do have the ability to do it, we’re just trying to figure out what the best way is.”

Despite these obstacles, the varsity girls soccer team remains resolute in their pursuit of winning games and looks poised to make another spirited run for state in the upcoming season.