The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

Inactive volcano provides sanctuary from city life

Oliver Sage
On Mt. Tabor’s north entrance from Yamhill, there is a directory sign and a steep set of stairs that lead to the summit. If you are looking to get some exercise, Mt. Tabor is a great place to go.

Between the neighborhoods of Montavilla and Sunnyside sits an extinct volcano 636 feet tall. It is home to a variety of trees and wildlife and is a refuge for those who long to escape the gray buildings of the city. Holding three open reservoirs and many great trails, this mountain has a diverse set of views and paths to explore.

Conveniently, this park is about a 10-minute walk from my house, and I have been able to explore it throughout my whole life. It is about a 10-minute bus ride down 82nd from the school. A road stemming from Yamhill and one from 60th give access to the two main entrances for cars into the park. If you arrive from the north and take the Yamhill entrance, you will be faced with a towering set of stairs and a couple of tennis courts to your left. If you arrive from the west, a steep road will take you past Reservoir Number 5—one of the three in the park, but one of five in the city—and a viewpoint.

City Reservoir Number 1 on Mt. Tabor has a path that goes all the way around it. THere are many paths to explore on the mountain, and they usually aren’t very busy. Oliver Sage

For those on the hunt for a great picnic spot, the field south of Reservoir Number 5 is a great spot. Apple blossoms bloom from trees right above, and during the summer the open space is packed with those enjoying the view of the sunset and city skyline.

Anyone looking for some exercise can take a run up the stairs from Yamhill all the way to the summit. This steep journey will have you out of breath in no time. Once you arrive at the top of the mountain, you can enjoy a pleasant walk around the loop. In the center of the loop, there is a grassy area for those who want to throw a frisbee or enjoy some quiet time.

Looking east from the loop, you can spot a faint Mount Hood in the distance. On a clear day, you can see its figure very easily. Looking west, you can see the city skyline where the sun sets. This provides a great reward for a tiring walk up to the top. 

It should be pointed out that the park is currently under construction. During the ice storm in January, many trees fell because of the wind, blocking both the roads and knocking down the pavilion near the playground. Although the park was partially affected by the storm, a majority of it stays intact on the top and around the reservoirs.

From City Reservoir Number 5 there is an amazing view of the city. Even on a cloudy day you are still able to see the skyline. Oliver Sage

In my humble opinion, the best season to wander up Mount Tabor is summer. Although the mosquitoes are killer, especially in the evening, the sunsets are beautiful and bats fly around during dusk. Many people gather to listen to music, and a piano is usually present at the peak of the hill.

Overall, Mount Tabor can be a great place for numerous activities. Whether you are enjoying a sunset picnic with friends, or going on a jog, Mount Tabor is the place to be.