The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

Hole’s stunning music shocks with powerful themes

Content Warning: This story contains mentions of sexual assault and drug abuse.

Recorded in 1993 and released in 1994, Live Through This was a turning point in the band Hole’s music career. Founded by lead singer Courtney Love and guitarist Eric Erlanderson, Hole became a stepping stone for women and feminism in the punk and riot grrrl world.

The album covers heavy topics, such as postpartum depression in the track “Plump,” rape in the track “Asking For It,” self-image, and substance abuse in the track “Miss World” and more. This album strays away from the sound of their previous work, as it has more of a soft edge. However, they still kept the harsh tone they’ve always had. 

This album was my introduction to riot grrrl and the punk scene. When I came across the track “Jennifer’s Body” in around 2019, I was instantly hooked by Love’s voice and Erlanderson’s incredible guitar. The lead up to the chorus is so perfect, the drumming from Patty Schemel is so beautifully entwined with the vocals and other instrumentals that I immediately fell in love. 

After my discovery of this band, I decided to take a deep dive into this album. The first track on the album, “Violet”—their most popular song from the album—was the second I listened to. Promptly after pressing play, I realized why it was so popular. The guitar is hypnotizing and Love’s lyrics are addictive and perfectly woven in with the instruments. The lyricism of this song is truly heartbreaking, while still being so catchy. With intense themes, Love perfectly embodies her raw emotions. She repeats the phrase, “Go on, take everything/take everything I want you to/Go on, take everything/Take everything, I dare you to.” The intensity of these lyrics paired with the rage in her vocals is stunning.

Another one of my favorite songs off this album is “Doll Parts.” The slow and soft vibe of this track is so satisfying while being almost eerie. Written in 20 minutes, the song is about Love’s early relationship with Kurt Cobain, the lead singer in the band Nirvana. In an Instagram post in 2020, Love said, “It was about a boy, whose band had just left town, who I’d been sleeping with, who I heard was sleeping with two other girls. It was my way of saying ‘You’re a f*cking idiot if you don’t choose me, and here is all the desire and fury that I feel for you.’” Love describes heartbreak so beautifully in her music. With lyrics including, “Yeah, they really want you/They really want you, and I do too,” Love poured her heart into these lyrics, and as listeners, we can feel it. 

This album was such a turning point in my music taste and really changed the way I view feminism and the riot grrrl scene. This genre of music is so interesting and powerful. If you are into Nirvana, the Smashing Pumpkins or Alice In Chains, I definitely recommend giving this album a listen.