The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

The Newspaper of McDaniel High School

The Oracle

Boy’s soccer knocks off fourth seed team

Junior Hoang
McDaniel boys soccer at halftime up in score 3-0. The goals were scored by junior Tavener Russ and senior Bryan Carmona Zepeda.

The boys soccer team is moving on to the second round of the state playoffs. The team started as the 29th seed and managed to upset the fourth seed, David Douglas. The final score was 3-4.

The team started strong in the first half with one goal from junior Taverner Russ and two goals from senior Bryan Carmona Zepeda.

“Scoring the first opening goal felt great,” Russ said.

In the second half, David Douglas scored three goals. With eight minutes left in the game, senior Caden Berg slotted the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal, which would end up being the winning goal. 

Goalkeeper Liam Philips felt pretty confident going into this playoff game. 

“I think we all knew we were going to win,” Philips said.

The boys soccer team has had great chemistry this season, and this has helped them be successful, according to Berg.

McDaniel boys soccer team cheering from the side after upset win. The final goal was scored in the last eight minutes. (Junior Hoang)

“The team chemistry has been off the charts lately,” Berg said.  “We wanted it and we were ready and the results speak for themselves.”

Head coach Ugo Uche stated that leadership has also been a big part of their success this season.

“Our senior leadership, captains, as well as the underclassmen that have been pushed up for playoffs have added a lot of positivity to the group,” Uche said.

The next playoff matchup is away against Mountainside, which is the 13th seed, on Wednesday, Nov. 1 at 6 pm.